A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Lights on surface

Camera Man
What do we know? What do we see?
Do I know you? Do you know me?
Some times I ask when the lights are falling low
is there really anything but lights on surfaces, do we know?

Am I like a camera, a catcher of light
just an solemn observatory alone in the night
Peering out across the sky at heavenly bodies shining bright
just out of reach... but always in sight

Some times I feel like a camera machine
a dark hollow chamber with gears and things
But I know this to be false for the pictures I take
rendering with each shutter click another heartache

But I know the light of the world from the beginning was He
a magical part of God given for me
I know that He came to heal broken, lonely men
He can take me and fix me within

I need... I want... I plead... I cry
for Jesus... my Savior to come passing by
And glance at this lonely man hiding with a camera in hand
And pull me from my shadowy corner and heal me... fix me... restore me... Only He can


Psalm 22:1-7, 11

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from the words of my groaning?

O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
by night, and am not silent.

Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One;
you are the praise of Israel.

In you our fathers put their trust;
they trusted and you delivered them.
They cried to you and were saved;
in you they trusted and were not disappointed.

But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by men and despised by the people.

All who see me mock me;
they hurl insults, shaking their heads:

Do not be far from me,
for trouble is near
and there is no one to help.

Oh, God... never leave me. Be the glue that holds me together. Hold onto the pieces of my heart... Put them back together again. This world takes us to crazy places. We find ourselves in situations we never dreamed. We build up houses. They crumble and fall. Our houses burn down. Our friends fade away. Our dreams slip into the fog. Our plans evaporate. The whispers grow louder. The moments of peace fade into moments of nervous terror. The entire time the house burns... the walls tumble. I am not blameless... I am not like Job. But for some reason You have called on me. I receive You and beg for Your comfort and grace. I need You now more than ever.

Lord, you healed the lepers, you made the lame walk and the blind see. Mend my brokenness... straighten up my crookedness. Remove the scales from my eyes. I am clay in your hands. Don't give up on me. Keep working in me. Sooner or later I will conform to your will.

No comments: