A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

If I ever loose my faith in you

I told a friend the other day that I was loosing my faith... not in Jesus or the Gospel... but my faith in man. I'm loosing my faith in the buildings and the names and the titles and roles. I'm questioning if it works. I am wondering if some of this structure isn't like the last lumbering brontosaurus struggling across a darkened, ashy plane after the meteorite ended his era.

I am reminded of a Sting song. I listened to it in my youth.

If I Ever Lose My Faith In You
Sting

You could say I lost my faith in science and progress
You could say I lost my belief in the holy church
You could say I lost my sense of direction
You could say all of this and worse but

Some would say I was a lost man in a lost world
You could say I lost my faith in the people on TV
You could say I'd lost my belief in our politicians
They all seemed like game show hosts to me

I never saw no miracle of science
That didn't go from a blessing to a curse
I never saw no military solution
That didn't always end up as something worse but
Let me say this first

If I ever lose my faith in you

There'd be nothing left for me to do


As walls crumble and big iconic symbols that were once the pillars of my beliefs fail and tumble, crashing to the ground, I'm left here with a minimalist vision of what Christianity is... it is Christ Jesus.

It is His mission, His ministry, His service, His love, His life, His blood, His death, His resurrection, His promise, His ascension, His pending return, and His Kingdom Come. This is what I know is true. I believe with every partical of my being. I would die for these truths.


I could be lost inside their lies without a trace
But every time I close my eyes I see your face

If I ever lose my faith in you
There'd be nothing left for me to do
If I ever lose my faith in you


Jesus you are my lifeline. I hang from you like a flailing mountain climber dangling over the precipice. You are what I have.

So I quest onward to drink deeper from the well that is You. I thirst for this water. Ever I look for most of you.

No comments: