A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Monday, May 15, 2006

If I were a Butterfly

I had a realization the other day... Nothing is going to happen in the next fifteen minutes that’s going to make me suddenly change and become something that I'm not. I'm not going to pop out of a cocoon and become a beautiful butterfly. It’s just not going to happen.

Christ is working in me. He's transforming me. But I am what I am. He chose to work through this person... this mixture of gifts and kookiness.

I remember the words to that great children's song, If I were a Butterfly.


If I were a butterfly I thank you Lord for giving me wings
If I were a robin in a tree I’d thank you Lord that I could sing
If I were a fish in the sea I’d wiggle my tail and giggle with glee
But I just thank you Father for making me, me


For you gave me a heart and you gave me a smile
You gave me Jesus and you made me your child
And I just thank you Father for making me, me


If I were something amazin, like a butterfly or big shot important person, I would bow down and thank God for the amazing things He planted in me. But I am what I am. And I praise Him for making me that way. I can take the gifts He's given me... I can beat on a guitar... I can write some prose, I can paint... some say I can sing (or at least shout)... and I can direct those things towards Him. I can give them to His purpose, and perhaps He will multiply them and create so much more.


Thank you Father for making me me.

Do not conform... TRANSFORM!

No comments: