A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Supernatural

I have always liked fantasy. As a young teen, the Legend of Zelda was always my favorite game. I read comic books, cheap dime novels and played geeky fantasy games. I loved the Lord of the Rings, Xanth and Conan the Barbarian.

In some of these books there are men of great power. Sometimes they are called wizards, mages or magicians. They wield archaic powers that tantalize the imagination. For a long stretch of my life I was enthralled with the notion of becoming something far greater than what I was.

As an isolated child growing up on a farm miles from town, caught in a family where I rarely felt loved or wanted, I felt trapped. I would go on long walks into the countryside. I would find a quiet spot, often atop a hay bale, and I would lay back and stare up at the blue sky watching clouds go by. I would dream up amazing tales of adventure and quests... I would imagine a young person like myself discovering a book that held the answers to ancient mysteries that offered great power... and could transform the reader into someone totally different. Our daring young hero would break away, escape his humble life and become a great champion in a new kingdom.

Many years later, I found myself confronted by a tub of warm water, a towel and Ashley Danner's feet. An amazing feeling of inadequacy washed over me. "Who am I to get on my knees and wash this girl’s feet? Who am I to tread on Jesus' ground? Who am I to even pretend?" My pride was broken as I came face to face with a truth that I was a trembling sorry wreck of lies and sin.

There in West Virginia and truth become real in my mind... ALONE I AM UNWORTHY! Without the Savior I am nothing. Emptying myself and giving my shell to Him to rebuild and refill is the only way to change, to grow, to become something more than a twisted, sinful being.

I returned from that mission trip on fire-- totally devoted. For the first time in my life I opened the Bible daily and started doing real devotions. I read not to learn what was on the page, but I opened my heart and my mind up to the Will of the Holy Spirit and said, "LIKE WET CLAY... HERE I AM... CHANGE ME." It was amazing. The Word was SO powerful. It was life altering. It was soul altering. I was being rebuilt, regenerated, reformed.

I remembered my youthful daydreams. Oh, how I longed for a book to come and offer me a new life. And when I found it, WOW. It was right there all along. The Bible can change your life. The bible can build you into a new person. The Bible can set you free. The Words of Jesus can guide you on a great quest if you reach out and grab hold of the Master. It’s supernatural in a much better way... Fantasy books and day dreams can help you escape a bad home life or your teenage angst. The Bible can eternally save your soul.


Super Natural
By Brant Bollman

Verse 1
I love Of Mice and Men and For Whom the Bell Tolls
All that highbrow literature about the human soul
I’ve read the words I know the lines still flip through the pages from time to time
But I just found another book; think I’ll take a brand new look

Chorus 1
Its supernatural, its supernatural

Verse 2
I love The Lord of Rings and stuff of fantasy
Wizards, warriors and dragons, O what mystery
I’ve read the books, I’ve played the games, I’m tellin’ you boys its just not the same
I just found another book; think I’ll take a brand new look

Chorus 2
Its supernatural, its supernatural
Miracles by the King of Kings and Castles in the sky
A Holy Stream and a Magic Beam that we might never die
Its supernatural in a whole, much better way
Its supernatural takes all you sins away, HEY!

No comments: