A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Power Prayer

They asked me to let them pray for me... I didn't hesitate.
I heard the voice of a teenage male say, "YEAH! BEEN WANTING TO DO THAT!" I had goose bumps.

I nodded. I have been waiting... my soul has been waiting. I have been hungry. Too often I give. I am the prayer guy. They come to me. I place my hands upon them... I give. I want to receive.

They circled around. There were a bunch of them. Most of them teens. I could feel His breath. I asked, "How do you want me?" meaning where and how. In my little troupe we would do a "GROUP HUG". But I was on their turf.

A voice said, "We'll take you as you are..."

I said, "I may fall, so I might as well start on my knees." I got down. Hands on my shoulders. Hands on my back. One strong hand on my left shoulder... not physical... but I felt full when it heavily came upon me. Ryan stood before me and laid a hand upon me.

I looked to the youth that I had brought along for the service. She was hanging back a few feet from the circle. I said, "I want her in on this too." Meaning I wanted her to pray for me, knowing that God works through her in marvelous ways. But before I knew it, she was on her knees next to me with hands laid on her as well.

They prayed. First Ryan... words of encouragement. Words that build. I was blown away. Everyone then. First in English... then a few in tongues. Then the person behind me to my right... in a strong voice spoke and drowned out the others. I could still hear them... but time seemed to stop as I focus on hers. Suddenly, I wasn't being prayed for by this circle of believers. Suddenly I was filled with a light and I felt a powerful presence, like being at the feet of Jesus Himself. I bowed lower... as low as I could and just cried out to Jesus. I let the words flow. I have no idea what they were but they said everything I needed to say. I spoke not to this girl or this youth pastor or my own youth... I was speaking to Him.

The only thing I can come close to comparing it to is the feeling I have as I am taking the bread and wine. I feel that union... that connectivity.

Soon I was returning to the world of FAoG in Harlan. They were done praying except one voice. Perhaps it was Ryan's. They backed away. I still knelt. A trickle of words still leapt from my mouth so I foolishly covered it with my hand. I didn't want to move. I wanted to stay right there forever. I looked at my youth. She had this look on her face. She looked like Moses coming down off the mountain. We smiled at each other for a moment.

Finally I got up and wandered around in a daze. Perhaps this is being drunk on the Spirit? Whatever it is, we rode back to town in silence... just speechless.

We Are Hungry

Lord I want more of you
Holy Spirit rain down on me
Lord I need more of you
Living breath of life come fill me up

We are hungry
We are hungry
We are hungry for the more of You
We are thirsty, oh Jesus
We are thirsty for the more of You

We lift our holy hands up
We want to touch You
We lift our voices higher and higher and higher to You

We are hungry
We are hungry
We are hungry for the more of You
We are thirsty, oh Jesus
We are thirsty for the more of You


There will come a day when we will be in a BIG circle of believers. We will bow and we will commune with God in a way even more personal than what I felt tonight. On that day... ZAM! I will be complete. I will be fed to my fill. That hunger in my soul will finally disappear.

No comments: