A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Sunday, February 05, 2006

The value of the church

WOW! Today I was really reminded of the value of corporate worship. Church today was so alive. It was so real. The choir sang a haunting anceint hym. The message was so gospel-centered and really spoke to me. It was a challenge to BE YOUR FAITH! Pastor told us to get on the playing field and work for Jesus, telling others of His Good News and His saving grace. It was a powerful experience and was truly edifying.

Too often I am the one teaching and I don't get the change to be filled up. I look for moments to really fill the tank, then focus on others. But today in church, I got a chance to hear what the Lord wanted me to hear. And it was awesome. Pastor sang "In Christ Alone." It is my favorite song that he does. It was followed by communion... and at EHLC I am always moved by Christ's gift in the eucharist. But today I came away from the alter with Scritpure on my lips. 2 Samuel 7 , David's prayer.

I returned to the balony and flipped a pew bible open to that location and read it. I began to weep freely. Why me? Why has He poured His favor on me? It is the question I return to often. So I prayerfully returned to the Confession in our bulletin and there in the balcony read back over the words quietly, just between me and God. This time through they held so much more meaning. I confessed to God that I am nothing without Him... that without His life altering grace I am lost on a angry sea.

Everything came together, the choir, the musicians, the pastor's sermon, his singing, the bread and the wine. Isn't that what corporate worship is supposed to be? Sharing His truth as one body, sharing our time and our talents to the Glory of Jesus?

I love my church. I am so thankful that we cling to the Word, the Truth, the ancient wisedom- and also that we confess boldly that Christ is King.

So as I ponder this entire notion of Postmodern Worship and praise habit, I must remember that our diet of praise must be a rich one. We must feed our soul with a variety of communion experiences. Corporate worship is one type of meal, quiet time is another. Contemplation is richly edifying as well as rocking out in the mosh pit at a Crowder concert. I do want to see my time with God as every moment of my life, and church is my time with like-minded fellow believers all focusing on God at the same moment.

No comments: