A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Freedom in the Spring

Touring the Joslyn yesterday I was struck by the beauty and mastery of the Return of Spring by Adolphe-William Bouguereau. WOW! What an image. I stood there in awe and fumbled through a sketch of the maiden's expression in my artist journal.

I know that look. I know that feeling. I know how she must feel, blissful, bright, shiny and new. She appears in a totally transformed world of cobalt blue skies, bright sunlight and everything in bloom.

There is a freedom in this painting, a freedom I know so well. I remember the first few months after West Virginia. I locked myself away in my studio and I ate and drank meditation. I devoured the Word. I soaked up praise music. I would lay prone on the floor and weep for my Savior. I was transformed by the Spirit and I dangled from the feeling like it was all I had. I was totally new. I wanted to suck the marrow from the bone. I wanted to be blown away. I felt like I was finally free of all the bonds that were holding me down. The great frozen winter of my life had finally broken and now spring was in bloom.


GOLDEN
So this final verse is a contradiction
And the more we learn the less we know
We've been talkin' about a feeling,
We both know inside but couldn't find the words
I couldn't write this verse,
I've seldom been so sure,
About anything before
Golden,
You are Golden, Child
You are Golden,
Don't let go
Don't let go tonight
This world is a dead man down
Every breath is a fading crown we wear
Like some debilitated king
Don't let go tonight
The Earth spins and the moon goes round
The green comes from the frozen ground
And everything will be made new again
Like freedom in spring
Hey, like freedom in spring, Like freedom in spring
Friends, we live in a dying world. Do not place your trust in what it has to offer, or you will find yourself bankrupt and stranded. I encourage you to look ever to the future Kingdom, to embrace the coming spring, the thawing of your heart, the blooming of the fruits of a personal relationship with the Master. Jesus is coming, spring is on the horizon. Be reborn by His grace and find the true freedom in spring.
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
--Romans 12:2

No comments: