A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Lazarus Man

Ever had a day when you just felt like Lazarus? Like you are already in the tomb… trapped… and you need a miracle to pull you from that dark shadowy place?


Then Jesus shouted, "Lazarus, come out!" And he came out, a cadaver, wrapped from head to toe, and with a kerchief over his face.

Jesus told them, "Unwrap him and let him loose."



I have been struggling with a lot of junk lately. Doubt… Anxiety… Fear about health issues… Rumor… Innuendo… Its funny because of course I know who is behind so much of the friction in our daily lives. The devil, despite what my mother thinks, doesn't have to use big plans and fancy schemes to wreck our mission. He whispers doubt, plays little rivalries against good Christians and spins his little deceptive tricks that pull us down. It is a slow battle of attrition and some days you find yourself so lost that you think you will sink below the surface and drown in a sea of despair.


Well, today I shouted out for a lifeline. I had a meeting with my pastor and he really put things in perspective. Jesus overcame the same kind of trials.. only far greater. When we encounter them, that is work for the kingdom. We can hold our heads high and proclaim victory in Jesus' name. Our team wins! The enemy is defeated. Pastor Menter pointed me to this motto for times of trial.

"Not only that--count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens--give a cheer, even!-for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble."

Matt 5:11-12 MSG


I left the pastor’s office with a new spring in my step. I took all my struggles, wrapped them up and gave them to the Great Physician. I said, "Jesus, I am getting weighed down here. I need you to pick me up. I need you to call me out of my shadows and breath new life into me."

And He does. He is always there, always ready to roll away the weight of doubt and despair and bring you back into the fullness of His love.

Thank you, Lord, for calling me from my dark place and restoring me with your Grace. -Amen

No comments: