A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Saturday, February 11, 2006

A father's love

I have been real busy lately. Night classes, optimist club, band practice, church council, luther league planning meetings, doing my grades for school... just to name a few of the things I have been juggling in the evenings. I haven't had any real QT with my son lately.

But I cleared some time, locked it up, dialed it in... I did nothing the last few days but romp around with my son.

Being a good dad might be the most important job I have. And I take our playtime very seriously. We have this game we play called "Mountain". Addy made it up himself. First he piles every pillow and blanket, beanbag chair and coat in the downstairs ontop of me. Then he climbs up on top of my head and jumps up and down, giggling with glee. I let him pummel me for a few minutes, then I throw him and all the stuff off me with a mighty "ROOOOAAAR!" I chase him around tickling him for a while before he starts piling the pillows again and the cylce repeats.

My father never got down on my level like that. So I make it a real point to do that. There is something really special about having a little guy look up to you like that.

Today, after a long stretch of playing choo choo, watching Thomas the Tank Engine and of course a long romp of "Mountain" Adison gave me a hug and turned to run away. But he paused, turned around and pointed at me and announed to no one in particular, "THIS MY BUDDY!"

THAT ROCKED!

No matter how busy I get, I must always have time to be a father... No matter how important the task at hand seems, being there for my kids is bigger. What will mean the most in a decade? Some project for grad school or my son's spirit? Father is JOB ONE!

Husbands, go all out in love for your wives.
Don't take advantage of them.

Children, do what your parents tell you.
This delights the Master no end.

Parents, don't come down too hard on your children
or you'll crush their spirits.

Colossians 3:19-21 MSG

1 comment:

JP said...

You said it. For about 18 years we have a chance to make a difference in our children's lives. Church-'work', our job, even "friends" will say THEY are more important than family. But what we do for them will vanish in the wind like a spark in a fire. The difference we make for our children will last forever. Before our children ever even begin to think of falling in love with a girlfriend or boyfriend they should have fallen head over heels for mommy and daddy!

JP