A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Monday, February 27, 2006

Lenten Times A Comin'

Lent is upon us. For those of you who don't have Lutheran roots, Lent is the 40 days that lead up to Easter. It is our time to prepare our hearts and our minds for the celebration of Easter.

At my church Easter is a powerful thing. I will never forget my first Easter Walk. I have written about it often. But I can't stress enough the power of the night. Each Good Friday, the Luther League puts on an Easter Walk, a dramatic step-by-step retracing of Jesus’ journey the days leading up to his crucifixion. The youth show so much passion and faith, the light of the Lord shines right out of them. Experiencing it for the first time, it touched me in a way I could never imagine. Picture it, to have them… my students teaching me, ministering to me and touching my heart. I plan to reflect on that night more in the days to come.

Come, children, listen closely; I'll give
you a lesson in GOD worship.

Who out there has a lust for life? Can't
wait each day to come upon beauty?

Guard your tongue from profanity, and no
more lying through your teeth.

Turn your back on sin; do something good.
Embrace peace--don't let it get away!

-Psalm 34:11-14


This year, I have decided to make myself ready by fasting my tongue. I will do this by refraining- to the best of my ability- from speaking words that are profane, degrading, obscene or insulting. Pray for me. This could be a real test of my will power. I plan on making a donation to a friend's mission trip fund each time I slip up.

Lord, give me strength as I make this sacrifice for you. May I come out more Christ-like on the other side. Amen!

No comments: