A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Son of Sorrow

I have been thinking a lot lately about Jesus' passion on the cross. What a personal sacrifice for me, laying down the divine to walk for me... to lead me... to suffer and die for me.

Too often we make the cross this happy symbol of our faith. We turn it into an icon- a cliché. But do not forget what the cross is... it isn't a placid, safe, peaceful symbol.... it is a radical event, the breaking of the old way in order to fix those stained with sin. It is the living God giving up His thrown, striding down to the world of men and taking action to right the wrong.

Jesus, in the garden, ponders the fate that is laid out before Him. He says as sweat pours down his brow like blood... "Wow, Father-God, if there is any other way to solve this massive crisis, to save these people then that would be cool... but NOT WHAT I WANT... But YOUR WILL BE DONE." That was for me!!! A personal decision to go down the road of crucifixion for me!!! And so often I take that for granted. I should live my life in constant remembrance of the fact that the cross is more than a happy symbol on par with the peace sign and a happy smiley face.



"The Fatal Wound"


I am the crisis
I am the bitter end
I'm gonna gun this down
I am divided
I am the razor edge
there is no easy now
son of sorrow staring down forever with an aching view
disenchanted lets go down together with the fatal wound
this is the real thing
no rubber bullets now
this is the final bow
my breath avoids me
my chest is in my head
my stomach's upside down
son of sorrowstaring down forever with an aching view
disenchanted lets go down together with the fatal wound


Jesus made a personal sacrifice for you on the cross. Listen as He calls to your heart, through the ages, "join me... believe in me... go down with me and you will become part of something that is endless... forever."


Jesus is the remedy for our sinful world. He is the breaking point, the answer, the rescue. Cling to Him today and find life in the cross.

No comments: