A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Thirst

Thirst

I've never been stranded in the desert
I've never been locked away
I've never done long without
more than hours or days

But I have this feeling
like a snake in tight skin
an emptiness, an echo
a thirst from within

I feel dry in my bones and I'm wasting away
I feel hollow and empty and bent with decay
My tongue is aching to awaken and say
praises and sonnets to the Lord whom I pray

Its been so long longing
and I eagerly await
like a runner at the start line
or a horse in the gate

For the Spirit to come
wash over me again
to free my feelings
to wash me my sins

To dance in the water
And drink from the well
To water these tired bones
and loose this dry shell

But I am still scouting the arid horizon for a tell tale sign
Hoping for oceans or rainy day skies
Until in that moment I feel I might burst
Like a lost man in the desert I continue to thirst


I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint.
My heart has turned to wax;
it has melted away within me.

My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;
you lay me in the dust of death.

-Psalm 22:14-15


No comments: