A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Bright, Shiny and New

ThrowN has a new member. His name is Joel DuVall and he is a Harley mechanic/T-shirt artist from Audubon, IA. I just got back from our first practice and what can I say... Let me try and put this into words.

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!!! Everything is new again. Everything is golden. I feel like I did the first time I ever sat under a tree and strummed a guitar. I knew only three chords but it was enough to make something, to make an offering of music… to praise loudly with voice and instrument.

Things are new again. And who would have thought that just one little tweak could mean so much. I think that when you have a group of people all focused on serving Jesus Christ, then the art of praise will be purer, sweeter, more true.


Joel came to our Sunday practice and he was right there! In the pocket! Our heavy was heavier. Our punk was punker. Our praise was more worshipful. There was this moment, second song into the jam, playing Zacchaeus when it was just so sublime. The drums were tight, our guitars were screaming and I was screaming as loud as I could... it was just right!

Best part of this whole deal is that the guy is really one of us! He looks like one of us hardcore Christians. And he has the ink to prove it. He is funny, real and SO dedicated to the Lord. I can tell he works well with youth. He will not just be a drummer. He will be a ministry partner. I can’t stress how pumped I am about this change.

I do wish my brother Tyler well. His service to the band is so appreciated and I wish him God's grace in all his journeys over this wide earth. I love him so much. But sometimes we have to travel the road of life before we can look back see who we are and where we are from. Even Jesus left Nazareth to spread the Gospel.

So, prayers answered! And WOW!!! TWELVE BASKETS MORE!

No comments: