A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Friday, February 24, 2006

Do you get the Message??

Tuesday night I was in my night class and we were discussing bible translations. We were reading a certain verse to see how it differed from individual text to text.


At issue was the words “Brothers” used by Paul when addressing a crowd. Some texts have interpreted this as “Brothers and Sisters” since the term supposedly means human beings and isn’t necessarily tied to gender.

After going over a few translations, I announced that I read split text NIV/Message and read the Message version aloud. It chose to use a gender neutral term “Friends.” People laughed. Even though the professor said the Message was an excellent Thought for Thought translation, the King Jimmy folks seemed convinced that the Message is a joke. Oh well, they can chuckle. As I have said before, "I readeth what I can understandeth!"

If reading the Message brings one teen closer to Christ, then who cares what a textual critic would say? I know what my youth relate to and what waters their thirst. They want a Bible for them; that they can easily access and understand. A functional bible does just that. The Spirit can work through any language and any translation. God is REALLY POWERFUL! Chill out and trust Him!

No comments: