A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Tears of Joy

There was a long stretch of time when I didn't cry. I stood through funerals and didn't shed a tear. I thought is wasn't manly. I thought tears were weak.

When I went to that first Easter Walk in 2001, the only time that I could remember crying in the past decade was when Kirk died at the end of Star Trek: Generations. That seems quite silly to me now. I stood there with tears rolling down my face thinking, "WHAT IS THIS! MUST HAVE SOMETHING IN MY EYE!"

But through the metamorphosis that God has lead me on, I have become quite used to crying. I cry when I am happy. I cry when I am proud. I cry every time I hear "Fatal Wound" by Switchfoot. I weep when I worship, the sweet fire of the Spirit coming and revealing His presents. I weep at a Jeremy Camp concert. I cry till my shirt is wet with tears at foot washing ceremonies. I cry and feel new again. Its that same feeling that the mathematician Pascal describes in his beautify prose:

Year of grace 1654, Monday 23 November, feast of St. Clement . . . from about half past ten at night to about half an hour after midnight,
FIRE.
God of Abraham, God of Isaac, God of Jacob, not of philosophers and scholars. Certitude, heartfelt joy, peace. God of Jesus Christ. God of Jesus Christ. "My God and your God". . .
Joy, Joy, Joy, tears of joy.
Jesus Christ.
Jesus Christ.
May I never be separated from him.


I go tonight seeking that Presence. I go tonight to find Fire. I go tonight to find Tears of Joy and the Sweet Water Jesus pours out for me.

"On Fire''
Switchfoot
I’m standing on the edge of me
I’m standing on the edge
I'm standing on the edge of everything I've ever been before...
I’m standing on the edge of me I’m standing on the edge

And I’m on fire when you’re near you
I’m on fire when you speak
I’m on fire burning at these mysteries...
I'm on fire.

No comments: