A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Going Camping!!!!

I am off to a Jeremy Camp concert this evening. Nothing like taking a car load of teenage girls to see their blue-eyed heart throb! But at least he is a Christ-centered singer that isn't too poppy.

In the song "I'll Take You Back", Camp sings of the song that has wandered far from home. The story of the prodigal was one that I knew well when I was a teenager, but never truly hit home until after my years in college, years wandering far from home.

I'll take you back always Even when your fight is over now
I'll take you back always Even when the pain is coming through
I'll take you back


I never said, "Hey GOD! I don't want to follow you anymore. I don't want to believe in you! I want to reject you and go it alone." But I did take one Art History class after another at the University of Iowa and slowly the liberal message of secular humanism leached away the convictions I had held. Their message that man is great and will overcome all the world's problems seemed more appealing to me at the time. Man is good. Go it alone.

I am not blaming U of I for me loosing my religion. In fact, I know many people who went to school in Iowa City and they networked with strong Christians and become more passionate in faith. My wandering way was a choice I made. I slowly pushed His voice- His call- out of my mind, out of my life and out of my heart.



"Suppose one of you had a hundred sheep and lost one. Wouldn't you leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the lost one until you found it? 5When found, you can be sure you would put it across your shoulders, rejoicing, 6and when you got home call in your friends and neighbors, saying, "Celebrate with me! I've found my lost sheep!' Count on it--there's more joy in heaven over one sinner's rescued life than over ninety-nine good people in no need of rescue.
-Luke 15:4-7

It wasn't until years later that I would find Him again. But truly, it wasn't so much I found Him. He found me. He wouldn't let me go. I tried to wander so far I could never be found again. But He wouldn't give up. Relentlessly, He followed, He called through the darkness, through the rain, through the rocks and the cliffs. Like a good shepherd He hunted me down and threw roadblocks in my path that FORCED me to look to Him again. He used the one thing that was guaranteed to get my attention. He used the one thing that holds my heart. He used my kids. I love my students. They are my world. God used a group of passionate Christ-followers to get me back. And when I returned, I found Him waiting for me, arms opened wide, running to meet me.

Praise God for His short memory and His undying love for me.

No comments: