A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Friday, March 10, 2006

More of Him... less of me

Its awesome when you see into the heart of a performer and he is even more 'right on' than you thought he was from his music. Jeremy Camp was fantastic! More than musically, spiritually. He was amazing. His stories and his message about Jesus Christ were so inspiring and so Christ-centered, it was awesome. I am so glad I went. It feels good to let go. And worship last night was free and over-flowing.

He played an acoustic set at Bellevue Christian Center. The venue was so intimate you could reach out and touch him. And he opened his heart to us over and over. There was this awesome moment in the show when he played "Empty Me" a song I have heard dozens of times but the message of the song never resonated as strong as it did when he set it up.


Empty Me
Jeremy Camp

Holy Fire burn away,
my desire for anything
that is not of you and is of me,
I want more of you and less of me, yeah.
Empty me,
Empty me, yeah,
Fill, won't you fill me, with you, with you

Empty me,
Empty me, yeah.
Fill, won't you fill me, with you, with you, empty me now.



What a song! I am surrounded by Christians that are fixated with notions about what THEY do in their relationship with Jesus. They describe honing their spiritual discipline like a runner training for a marathon. They talk about studying up so they can understand things better, learning to pray better or longer. Their relationship seems to be about what THEY do for HIM. But I tell you, friends, the more I focus on HIM... and what HE does for me... the more He works in me. I never want to rely on my brain, my strength, my courage, my discipline... More of HIM!!! Less of me. Lord erase me and fill me up with you. Make me into your image. Make me into a offering, my life my body, my mind, my soul. I offer everything. Take them. And leave a reflection of you in their stead.

Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Ephesians 5:1-2


No comments: