A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Looking Back


Sometimes, when days are going really bad, and my vision is blurry and my blood pressure is really high, I sit back and think of days serving the Lord in times past. This was my group last summer at Red Lake Indian Reservation on our mission trip. I had four of my kids (Megan, Ashley, Ryan and Schuyler) and a small group of youths from other churches. We formed a tight bound during that time. Just yesterday I got an email from Megan recalling those kids, the feeling of fullness she got from the Spirit and how she longingly seeks that feeling of connectedness in her daily life at college. I know what she means.

Sometimes I wish I could just stand up and walk away from this computer and this art room and this town and this comfortable world and just climb right aboard an airplane and fly away- away to a different place- a harder place- where Jesus is everything and my mission isn't second fiddle to the reality of paying bills and being a responsible member of this community.

I love those moments on our mission trips. Each and every one of them is a priceless gift. I think of them like a sanctuary... a retreat. They are formative, each time I learn more about who I am, how God plans to use me and how I relate with my youths.

I know the theory that I often promote about making this school, these halls our mission and shaping our lives into servant-hearted service... But there is something about being in the mission field. I pray earnestly that someday God makes it so that I can just pick up and go. Not for just a week or a month. But gone for good. Some day in the future, after kids are grown and college loans repaid, I want my life to become a total sacrifice of service for my God.

No comments: