A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Altar Call

What kind of worship do I want to bring to the altar of the Living God? How will it come before the King of Kings? Will it be pleasing to Him? Will my words be seen as sincere? Will my heart appear contrite Or will my words fall hallow?


The Story of the Tax Man and the Pharisee
Jesus told his next story to some who were complacently pleased with themselves over their moral performance and looked down their noses at the common people:

"Two men went up to the Temple to pray, one a Pharisee, the other a tax man. The Pharisee posed and prayed like this: "Oh, God, I thank you that I am not like other people--robbers, crooks, adulterers, or, heaven forbid, like this tax man. I fast twice a week and tithe on all my income.'
"Meanwhile the tax man, slumped in the shadows, his face in his hands, not daring to look up, said, "God, give mercy. Forgive me, a sinner.'"
Jesus commented, "This tax man, not the other, went home made right with God. If you walk around with your nose in the air, you're going to end up flat on your face, but if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself."


Luke 18:9-14 (The Message)

Many hours I have spent contemplating, praying over and studying this notion of sacrifice of praise and worship. It is my desire to bring before the Lord a humble heart. Let us remember that we are all sinners... We are all less than good enough. We all fall short of the glory of God. If we stand in the front of church making a show, bloviating our worth and your righteousness, we fool ourselves. If we run to church with our week of baggage from our sin-centered existence, we aren't Christ-followers... we are church-chasers. If we use our churches as social organizations instead of houses of worship, God will turn away.

Lord, give me the simple resolve to become content in myself... then work through me, and in me... to make me much more

No comments: