A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Monday, March 06, 2006

The Gospel according to Alternative Rock

I listen to a lot of alternative Christian music. It is the sound track to my life. As you can see by scanning my blog, I use these songs a lot in my ministry. I tie songs into bible study lessons. I stick quotes of songs throughout my messages and I fill my journal with snippets of lyrics. There always seems to be just the right song to minister to my heart.

This is biblical. Paul quotes the songs of his day all the time. Just look at 2 Tim 2:11-13. He starts by saying, "Here is a good saying to live by:” The symmetry of 'the saying,' and the rhythmical balance of the parallel clauses makes it likely part of a n early church hymn.

We even find Jesus, as He dies on the cross, quoting David’s Psalm 22:1. He looks to heaven and says, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" (matt 27:46). It comes full circle when a little band of surfers called SWITCHFOOT writes a song called "Shadows Prove the Sunshine" and in it they quote Jesus on cross quoting David’s Psalm 22. Then I come along and quote Switchfoot to a student that is lost and confused. The song touches her heart. She reads Psalm 22. She reads Matt 27. She asks to know more about Jesus. We lead. She finds. Jesus transforms...

Music can never replace study of the Word. The Word is like food that nourishes your bones. The Word in song is like water to your thirsty soul. Both build us up as Christians. Both help to transform us into new beings. And both can point ever to the Master, Jesus Christ.


I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.

He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.

Psalm 40:1-3


May my songs be Scripture-filled and nourishing to those who hear them. May they glorify God and ever point to my Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: