A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Monday, December 11, 2006

Church

For the next week or so I will address a subject that means a lot to me. Some have charged me as being anti-church. Nothing can be further from the truth. I love church with every fiber of my being. Perhaps I do have a slightly different view of what Church is, can, and should be. I will take a long look at these things and try to present them here in a way that will let everyone, my supporters, friends, fellow emergents and my detractors alike, know where I stand.

About a month ago I gave up my cable television. I did this to increase my time writing music, to spend more time with my internal dialog and to focus more on reading. Literature was a passion of mine back in high school and college, but somewhere along the line I discovered Sportscenter on ESPN. Every since that smorgasbord of candy for my short attention span, my reading habits declined. But with cable gone, I have dove back into reading. I have devoured works by all the major PEEW leaders and recently a book about U2. Each book I read quoted the same source over and over again, The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis. I decided it was high time to read this book by one of my favorite authors as a youth and when my friends bought it for me for my birthday I decided that God was aligning everything in order.



And yes, The Screwtape Letters is my current reading selection and is informing my current topic of 'The Church.' I will reference it frequently as well as those works that have drawn inspiration from it. It's an interesting experience to discover the music you listened to for years was so heavily inspired by such an amazing work of fiction. I hope you all take the time to read this book.

Ultimately this blog isn't about me. It's about Jesus Christ. I hope to point to Jesus, His mission and His ministry. He was God on earth. We are just warming His seat until He gets back from His extended vacation.

No comments: