A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Billions and Billions Served



I was headed to Parables Christian Bookstore in Omaha when we passed a McDonalds and I noticed their big red sign with their trademark golden arches on top. Under the sign it read, "Billions and Billions Served." That is true. People around the world line up by the millions to get their hands on a Big Mac, large Coke and those all-too-delicious french fries. Billions are served at McDonalds, but my question is, how many are served well? How many feast on a nourishing meal that builds up the body? The answer is none! McDonalds is fast food. It's a quick fix, a rush of calories and fat to shock the body and temporarily silence the pains of hunger that rumbled the belly.

I am not interested in feeding the masses just to raise the numbers on a giant tote board. I am not interested in running them through the line to collect as much profit as possible... I am interested in a better kind of meal. I want them to feast on a much more nourishing food and to drink of a much better kind of water.

Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.'

But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'

Then you will say, 'We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.'

But he will reply, 'I don't know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!'

-Luke 13:25-27


I will take a few fed for eternity over billions served for just today.

No comments: