A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Aloness

There is a funny thing about being alone. Before you stumble upon news to the contrary you have no clue that you are out there on an island by your self. You have no idea how distant and remote the world is. Reality is what it is. We are comfortable in our lives because it’s all we know. We don't know we are alone because we look around at the familiar stuff that we placate our lives with, the things that dull us or make us happy. The whole time... we are alone.

Then there is the day when the boat arrives on the horizon and out comes the rescuer. He stands there and holds out a hand and embraces you and fills you up and listens and cares and mends you and climbs all over you with his love. Suddenly, for the first time, you realize that you are now complete. Everything else before is now defined with this new word... WOW! For all those years I was alone. Now I have this awesome amazing friend. He is transforming my life.

The thing is, this new friendship isn't always easy. We meet resistance for our relationship. Society hates it. They see it as weird and they hurl insults onto it. They bash you down as a Jesus-freak or a holy-roller or a wacko. But you are left with one real truth. For all the insults you might endure and all the hardships that come with the relationship... NOW YOU AREN'T ALONE ANYMORE.

I have been thinking about this state of aloness. And I have one thing that I know for sure... I AM NOT GOING BACK! I WILL NEVER BE ALONE AGAIN!

Jesus, don't set sail without me.

No comments: