A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Shooting Rubberbands at the Moon

Its silly how dense we can be sometimes. We let happiness pass over us like a cool breeze without even noticing... then we take wild hay-maker punches at silly things that really don't make us happy.

Trying to make yourself happy is like shooting rubberbands at the moon. We just don't have the firepower to get it done. We need a bigger power to fill us up and give us meaning.

Sunday I played bass in church. It made me feel so so good. Then I stumble my own to my car and head back out into my own silly life of rubberband shooting and hay-maker punch swinging... And I am oblivious to the moment where I felt the feeling of peace inside of my own skin that I have so been craving!

Its silly.. I think we have some sort of innate desire to make OURSELVES happy. Its like we are Adam trying to wrestle the wheel of destiny out of God's hands and do it ourselves. But that course ALWAYS leaves us empty and in the ditch.

So... shooting rubberbands is foolish. But seeking that deeper source of joy is live-giving water. I need to yield the reigns and stop the attempts to make good on my own. I need to let a better Driver take the wheel.

No comments: