A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Monday, May 07, 2007

Demons Ate My Homework

I just heard a remarkable tale told to me by a teenage boy. He said his pastor told him that he was possessed by a demon while playing with a OIUGI board as a youngest.... Oh my!

The kid asked if I thought that was true. I smiled and said, "Yes, and Dungeons and Dragons makes you commit suicide, heavy metal music makes you kill your classmates and girls wearing short dresses are asking to get attacked by perverts."

I certainly believe in the devil. He is real. He is present in this world. He tempts us with lies of our own self importance. But many many people have things all mixed up when it comes to how he works.

We have a need to create boogie men in this world. We use them as excuses for why we fail to do what we know is right. Guilty parents have passed the buck off on invisible monsters for decades... in fact I imagine that this is probably part of human nature.

Black magic 8 balls and OIUGI boards are stupid gimmicks that appeal to a certain kind of kid. They are just silly toys. They might lead to a fascination with the occult that could turn dangerous... but one silly time pretending to talk with the ghost of Elvis doesn't make you possessed by anything but boredom.

When Jesus is in our heart we have nothing to fear. Cardboard games, floating dice in black plastic and such are just dust of this earth. They mean nothing in the 4th dimension of the KINGDOM.

Instead of blaming boardgames for your problems as a teenager, perhaps one should look deeper... What was really the issue? I believe one might find that excuses are just made to cover up a guilty conscious.

No comments: