A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Trust

Psalm 34:15-22

The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous
and his ears are attentive to their cry;

the face of the LORD is against those who do evil,
to cut off the memory of them from the earth.

The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

A righteous man may have many troubles,
but the LORD delivers him from them all;

he protects all his bones,
not one of them will be broken.

Evil shall slay the wicked;
the foes of the righteous will be condemned.

The LORD randsomes the life of his servants;
none will be condemned who TRUST in him.


I was reading this Psalm outloud during some private devo time and suddenly the last verse jumped out at me. Let me paraphrase...

Bad guys will get what's coming to them, done in by their own evil deeds,
And they will get a nasty verdict handed down...

But the Lord pays the fine for those that follow HIM!!!!
And NO ONE will be punished that TRUST in HIM.


The word TRUST jumps right out at me. None will be punished that TRUST in him. TRUST... What a wonderful word. Think about how we use it today in our daily lives. I get up and trust that my car will start. I trust that the bank keeps track of how much money I have. I trust my friends will my innermost secrets. I trust that tomorrow will be another day. Trust is a good thing.

But how do we get trust? How does it appear? How many of you have had a relationship that struggled with issues with trust. I know I have in my life. It seems especially true with young love that there is this period where you stay on guard. You aren't sure whether to give your heart completely. You are afraid of getting hurt. So you build a relationship... and over days, weeks and perhaps even months your guard comes down, you open up and you learn to trust them completely.

Trust isn't something you just get. It isn't immediate with the first I love you or the first time you commit to a relationship. It is built through the process of being together. Trust is the result of sustained love, layered and layered. It is the by-product of walking faithfully together with common goals, sharing experiences together, enduring.


Now that I've given my heart completely
Do with it what YOU will
I am Your child now
My needs YOU will fufill

I put my heart in my hands and I lift it up to YOU
Gonna do all that I can to live my life for YOU
EVERYDAY!


Friends, where are you now? Are you in the cold? Have you seen the Lord Jesus pass by but now you've lost site of Him? Perhaps you went through confirmation class and felt the tug of the Lord on your heart drawing you near but now you feel lost. It isn't too late. Perhaps you felt the call and knelt at an altar and asked the Lord to enter your heart... but you have slipped back into your old habits and your old lifestyle. The Lord still has a place for you. He is still calling you. He's ready to pay your debts and pull you from the prison cell. He's ready. He's ready to save you from death and your bondage and punishment. But He wants your TRUST. He wants you to walk in His ways. He wants you to come back home and seek His face. He wants your enduring love. He wants your faithfulness. He wants your heart... He wants to plant wonderful seeds that take root in your life and produce fruit over the course of your life. That is what He wants. He wants you to TRUST IN HIM. Reach out. Come home. Start that walk today.

No comments: