A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

worship because a chore

Its terrible when we become so focused on the nuts and bolts of worship that it becomes a job. Lately I have been so busy sorting music, trying to deal with changing schedules and roster changes that I haven't really had the time to take a deep breath and just worship the Living Lord.

This morning, driving to a doctor's appointment, I drove into the Skunk River bottom with the low lying fog and the early morning sun blazing an orange Mark Rothko in the eastern sky. I saw it and I was awe struck by the beauty in that valley and I began worshiping God and praising His Holy name. It was real worship. There was no band, no instruments, no music at all but my own voice... and I was taken to another place.

If only I could capture that feeling when leading worship. Then there would be no feelings of obligation or duty, ritual or roteness. It would just be worship.

No comments: