A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Cougar Tracks

I had a great day at class tonight. I think it was a real break through. It didn't hurt that we were discussing the Reformation, Luther and the Pietists. All went pretty smooth. I did note one major difference between my own presuppositions and the rest of the room. When they say Calvin they tend to have a little smile on their face while I follow that name up with a "HHhhhhCK... Poooowie!" --JK (kind of)

Woogie (sp?) shared an interesting conversation about his youth ministry, the new harvest of youth and the emergent church. He stated that he has seen a lot of rationalists and universalist thought coming from his youth. I, on the other hand, have seen a great opening up of piety and mystic possibilities. Kids today (and now 20-somethings) want a faith that is interactive... They don't want to just sit and receive. They want it is powerful in their lives. They want to be immersed in their faith... not just attend on Sunday and then return to their homes. At least this is what I have been seeing, both in my own circle of believers, in my own life and from those I network with in the PEEW movement. Our Discipleship camp really moved my thinking that direction also... which I am sure I will get around to sharing at a later date (once the memories are good and foggy).

I do want to discuss service for a moment. I know some see the importance I put on missions and service as the dreaded "Works
Righteousness!!!" But on the contrary... its really just a sign that Jesus Christ is working in your heart and in your life.

When we see cougar tracks in our backyards in Harlan, Iowa, it is proof that a cougar has been there. In the same way, if we have life change, if by God's Grace through faith we change our focus off of our own selfish needs and serve others in Jesus' name, and spread His Good News, then these acts of service are merely evidence (tracks if you will) of His presence, working in you, molding you into someone else.

GO TELL SOMEONE ABOUT JESUS TODAY!! IT COULD SAVE THEIR LIVES!!!

No comments: