A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Let it shine, let it shine let it shine!!!!

I was taken to task last Sunday. I was sitting in the back of a church in my new home town. I came because of a promise I made Britta in the middle of the night. I was gonna stop letting disillusionment get in my way. I was heading back. I was getting back into the Word, I was gonna start playing my guitar again. I was gonna stop telling the Spirit that my heart is just too hurt for Him to work in me right now. I was going to finally let it go.

It was a fine service with a good message but the entire time I keep having this line of scripture run through my mind. I tried to ignore it but it wouldn't go away.

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:14-16

After about thirty minutes of this I figured I'd better pay attention. So I prayed, "OK, Jesus... what are you trying to tell me?" And to this I felt the Spirit fall harder than I have since West Virginia. It was like a thunder clap. It's time, He whispered. It's time to shine your light. Or else you are going to smother it.

So It's time for me to start sharing my light again. It's time. I don't know what I'll be called to do, be it music, ministry, service... or just standing on the corner and waving like that old crazy guy used to do in Ottumwa out by KFC. But I'm not hiding it any more. I'm gonna let it shine!

No comments: