A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Friday, March 09, 2007

I am what I am




I grew up on comic books and fantasy games. I love Super Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda. I once drove five hours to have lunch with Gary Gygax. I have little action figures still in the boxes. I have watched every episode of Star Trek. I loved the first three original Star Wars movies... even the killer teddy bears. I like Renaissance Fairs and cheap Forgotten Realms books. I like to watch the first Matrix movie over and over as if it were the only thing on tv. I love Conan the Barbarian with Arnold before he became a politician. I was almost kicked out of a gaming convention for harassing "Chainmail Girl". I love this sort of geeky stuff. I have always loved them since the days of old when I watched Gummy Bears and Thundercats. I am a sci-fi/fantasy nerd at heart.

For a lot of my life I was told that I couldn't be a Christian and like all that stuff. The two didn't mesh. I had to choose between my Savior and the stuff that made me smile. I believed that for a long time. And I thought I must have been made wrong. Because no matter how hard I tried I still loved comic books and dragons and robots.

Then I met Mike and his different kind of Christianity. God made me this way. I am free in Him to enjoy this world as long as He is in my heart. He has vindicated me. He saw something in me worth saving. So He died for me.

COOL BEANS!

No comments: