A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Monday, September 22, 2008

Not the Point

I had a strange experience the other day. An old friend sent me a rather nasty message through a social network. He was concerned that I wasn't living a virtuous life and that I had fallen away from my faith. It was quite judgmental and condescending.

His heart, I believe, was in the right place. And believe me, I have been running from the Lord a lot lately. I have turned off my creative juices and tucked up into a ball like an armadillo to protect myself from old wounds. And that hasn't worked for me at all. I just find myself cold, lonely and separated from that warming Spirit that gives me a greater purpose than getting up to turn off the alarm clock every morning. But this person 's message did not pull me through. It just made me mad.

It's funny. If you are truly concerned about a brother or sister, what you should do is reach out to them. Ask them, "Hey man... how ya doing?" or "Is everything cool with you?"

It's a very Christ-like thing to reach out to someone who is struggling. And He reached out and offered hope. He gave the light. He offered healing, love and redemption. That is best done with an open hand and kind heart.

I am working at this relationship with Christ. I am laying down some old pain and getting back into the world as a missionary for Him right where I am. I will have my ups and downs. I will fail at times but I am back and I am following Him.

I look around my life and I see many people that seem shut off and in pain. I see friends that were once very close to the Lord who have fallen away also. Part of this new quest is to reach out to them. I strive to show them love, kindness and caring. May that be the light that leads them to back to Jesus.

No comments: