A community of creative, emergent Christ-followers

Friday, September 08, 2006

Grumpies

I have always wondered how some teachers get so grumpy. I have worked with a number of teachers through the years that just seem unhappy. They hate their jobs, they hate their co-workers and, most disturbing to me, they seem to truly hate kids. I entered this career with a passion for youth. I received a BFA in painting from the University of Iowa and was showing my abstract paintings in the late 90's when I completely by accident discovered this love. As you can imagine, abstract paintings don't really pay the bills, so I worked nights at a supermarket service counter doing anything from late night bottle redemption to running the video rental counter. I tired of this job. All of my coworkers were brace-faced teens. I wanted something more suited for a college graduate. So I took a job as the activities coordinator at a Before and After School Program in Iowa City. This is where I discovered that I have a natural talent and intrinsic love for working with youth.

I played basketball with the kids. We did skits and drew pictures. We baked snacks and made puppets. We played foursquare and board games. I found my calling. I could wade into the sea of kids and we would have a blast. It wasn't long before I was back getting my teaching degree.

For years and years I have said that I love my job. I love entire process. I love the fun of teaching the lesson and the joy of painting and drawing. I can incorporate my music, my story telling, my jokes into the fun. And the kids love me. I have never been the kind of art teacher that was overly concerned with the products the students create. The process of thinking creatively is far more important to me. I want the students to think and grow. I love seeing that spark in their little eyes.

So it amazes me when I come face to face with those teaches that seem mad at the world. They resent their jobs, they resent their daily tasks and sadly they hate the bright eyes of the little kids that they are called to teach.

How do you get this way? How do you go from that idealistic student-teacher to that old grumpy curmudgeon barreling down the hallway? I have often wondered. Yesterday I think I caught a glimpse of the process..

I was walking through the halls on my way to teach a class. I was all alone. I was thinking about my job. I was thinking of all the extra unpaid things that I have done through the years to enrich the lives of the students. I thought of all the free things I have done for the community in which I teach. Suddenly I thought of all those acts of service, unreimbursed acts of kindness and how I have been repaid. I caught myself grumbling under my breath. I thought, "They don't deserve these things!" I thought bitterly. "And I won't be giving my efforts to them anymore."

But then I thought of Joseph. I thought of his service in Egypt. How did Joseph serve? He did his best. No matter how he was rewarded, no matter what he was called to do, Joseph did his best because God wants us to do our best and be a shining example to others.

This has really made me think. I can't let the bad attitudes of others drag me down. I can't let what others have done to me and the ones I love change me or my actions. I will continue to love and serve, as Christ would want me to. And everything else, all that I can't control, I will give to my Lord.

No comments: